Adding reputation and 'liking' a post

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding reputation and 'liking' a post

There are some posts that i like (eg really good explanations with images), or some posts that i just want to acknowledge as 'contributing to the thread'.

seems i can only add to the reputation, and then can't add any more for the same poster 'until i spread the reputation around for others'.

is there a way to just 'like' a post?

Firstly, I'm stealing this info from a thread in the Treasure Madness forum that explains Reputation and how it works.

Limitations & Error messages in giving Reputation.
    There are a few limitations in giving reputation.
    A. The first refers to the total amount of reputation one can give over a specific period of time. Specifically, a user can give Reputation to 10 users within 24 hours.

The following error message is presented when a user who has hit that limit, tries to give Reputation:
    "You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Keep in mind that the 24 hour period (aka cooldown period) is rolling and not fixed. This means that there is no timer that is reset at a specific time during the day. As soon as 24 hours since the time the 1st Reputation was given, pass, the user is allowed to give one more Reputation etc.

B. The second limitation refers to how long it takes before a user can re-give Reputation to a user she has already given Reputation earlier. Specifically, a user must give Reputation to 20 other users before being permitted to give Reputation to the same user. When someone tries to give Reputation sooner than that to the same UserA, the following error message is presented:
    “You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to UserA again”.

C. Finally, as mentioned earlier, although Reputation is a user’s attribute, it can only be given to specific posts and not directly to a user. Having said that, if a user tries to give Reputation to a post she has already given reputation in the past, the following error message is presented: “You cannot give Reputation to the same post twice”.

Note: The Reputation system checks for the above mentioned conditions in the reverse order from the one presented here. First, whether a post was given Reputation from the same user, second whether the same user was given Reputation from the same user and lastly, whether the cooldown period has elapsed. Keep that in mind when wondering why you cannot give Reputation.

here's a link to the thread I stole that from: http://forum.ooblada.com/showthread.php?t=223607

So, the error message you are getting is basically telling you to spread the love, it's there to help prevent forum users from abusing the reputation system. Unfortunately there isn't a way to just "like" a post in the forum (you can, however, like a thread). Since you need to spread the love a bit, perhaps a good place would be in the share boosters thread.

You, my dear, really underestimate my level of psycho. Keep going, I dare you.

Originally posted by Kiefer
    Kiefer's Dwarfs Fact #3: If they can make a joke become reality, they will.

Wishlist

A Contest for HP is currently running:
    Text Mach Challenge!

Comment

"Since you need to spread the love a bit, perhaps a good place would be in the share boosters thread." - that's the one that i want to "like" - for people who continue to contribute

take point about reputation - wanted to
      'like' a post, or saying 'publicly' that i find some of the explanations very clear and helpful. there are only a very few authors for those

thankyou for your prompt reply at any rate. appreciate your explanations - you and BarbE were the ones whose posts i wanted to like
      Last edited by tsang_riddle; 10th Apr, 2014, 03:51 AM.

Comment

BarbE and I have had a lot of practice at giving clear, concise explanations and personally, I'll draft some things before posting starting to post. Pictures speak louder than words in some cases, so that's why they get added (and why we ask for them when people are having issues with the game)

I was actually trying to suggest you go give some rep to other people who have shared their boosters in that thread, the thread was your wonderful idea, and others have taken to it

Wishlist

Text Mach Challenge!

Comment

you can also Rate a thread -- i.e. at the top of the Thread you should be given the option to rate the thread from 1 to 5 stars with 5 stars being the best or top rating for the thread

Comment

forgot about that, I haven't rated a thread in aaaaaaaaaaaaages

Wishlist

Text Mach Challenge!

Comment

Originally posted by Amity Wells View Post
              I was actually trying to suggest you go give some rep to other people who have shared their boosters in that thread
              already did/doing that
              others have taken to it
              and i have been benefiting from it

Comment

did that already as well

Comment

BarbE and I have had a lot of practice at giving clear, concise explanations and personally, I'll draft some things before posting starting to post. Pictures speak louder than words in some cases, so that's why they get added (and why we ask for them when people are having issues with the game)
                  i'm actually a hosp software programmer in my free time when not playing games - seen a lot of manuals/instructions etc. the ones i've seen in this forum still top of the class. respect to both you and BarbE

Comment

Thank you tsang, it's always nice to be told that what you've done is top notch

even when it is hijacking a thread mwahahahahaha

I'm glad you are benefiting from that thread, if you weren't I'd be pretty damn ticked. Once you hit 99 scatters though, you won't be able to hold more because you'll be maxed out on them

Last edited by Amity Wells; 10th Apr, 2014, 10:51 PM.

Wishlist

Text Mach Challenge!

Comment

yeppers cause I had to use some of my shields cause i was maxed out on them ................

Comment

take point about reputation - wanted to 'like' a post, or saying 'publicly' that i find some of the explanations very clear and helpful. there are only a very few authors for those

Comment

Working...
                        X